We were presented with the choice to either implement the knowledge being published on the brain to create a space that has thought and purpose behind it or to ignore it. We decided to implement the knowledge and create spaces that are designed for specific results.
Every accept of what we do uses Brain Technology from creating community, generating business strategy, to a space that supports innovation.
Studies have show that the brain observes and reacts to everything in its environment. For example, research conducted on children with ADD showed that children became more focused after being in nature or after being exposed to the colour green( Scientific American Mind). Another example, is how adjusting body posture can trigger the release of certain neurochemicals like testosterone ( HBR ).
Our journey into brain technology started with our space in London. We have logged behaviours, interactions, and results by observing the entrepreneurs in the space. Some key effects are as follows.
- The high ceilings in the upstairs part give the brain a sense of space, thus people are more prone to conceptual thought. People mention how easy it is to think in the space.
- The green in the space calms people down due to the release of serotonin. People are generally quiet and focused, which is in contrast to downstairs where we use yellow to release dopamine.
- Then there is the size and layout of the space. THECEUBE is small open plan space, instigating natural conversations to occur. The closeness of people mixed with lack of anonymity releases oxytocin, allowing people to build genuine bonds and create collaborations.
The space in New York will have a different layout as it is one floor, but the core principles will apply.
- We have decided to commit to having a small open plan space. Due to its small size people feel less socially intimated and at ease.
- There is plenty of natural light and the sense of space to help induce conceptual thought. Natural light also helps keep the brain alert and most importantly it helps regulate cortisol, which makes people feel more calm.
- The seating are in scholastic rows to mimic a classroom, which triggers people to be more productive and focused.
- Like THECUBE we will be using yellow to release dopamine so New Yorkers feel good as soon as they walk into the space. In the main working area the release of serotonin will heighten focus and calm.
We have identified certain antidotes of innovation and thinking. High levels of anxiety, stress, over stimulus, depression, and fear. Therefore both of our spaces release neurochemicals which counter them.
We have been measuring the results in London by observing productivity levels, quality of collaborations, body language, type of language used, signs of altruistic behaviours, and business results people experience after joining the space .
In New York, we are going to set more systematic metrics to monitor change in anxiety levels, productivity, quality of innovation & collaboration, and behavioral alterations.
Is it Placebo?
There is an argument that it can be placebo, however we did not disclose this information to our London members from the start, so most of the observations happened whilst they were uniformed of the spacial priming.